The Bylas Arizona Collection
- 1923 - 1973
Conditions Governing Use
1 Box : 1 record box containing 44 file folders of materials
Biographical / Historical
Under Schlegel’s direction, Our Savior Lutheran Church was formed, and the church building was constructed in 1922. At the time, Our Savior was the only Christian church in Bylas. In 1924, Schlegel was started a school in conjunction with the church, and the first school room of the mission was built in 1926.
By God’s grace, both the congregation and the school grew. By the 1960s, Our Savior Lutheran Church had around 350 baptized members and averaged over 100 people each week in its Sunday morning service. Our Savior Lutheran School at times had over 100 students and up to four teachers. Eventually, enrollees were limited to the children of communicant members, in order to keep the enrolment manageable.
Pastors of the Bylas congregation included G. J. Schlegel (1920-1926), Pastor Hillmer (1926-1929), Paul Behn (1929-1931), Ernest Sprengeler (1931-1948), Allen Schuppenhauer (1948-1951), Joel Sauer (1952-1956), Carl Palenske (1956-1961), John Hering (1961-1968), and Lyle Sonntag (1968 - end of records).
Part of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Archives Repository